What happened????

I feel like I just lost 5 weeks of my life!  Losing 5 pounds would have been nice…but not 5 weeks!  A very nasty bug invaded my body and did not want to leave.  I was given antibiotics and later steroids, and today the cough still persists.  I don’t want to bore anyone that might (hopefully) be reading this useless information, but that is the explanation for my lack of posts on my blog.  As I lament the loss of time, I began to consider what had happened to others, friends and family, during the same 5 week period.                                                                                                                                                                                                                         That 5 weeks was about the amount of time a good friend of mine was given to discover, and deal with, a  diagnosis of cancer and the subsequent death of her husband of 43 years.  How does one even begin the process that type of news in that amount of time?  Before she could even digest the fact that he had cancer, it had taken his life.  Now she is digesting what her life without him will be like…financially as well as emotionally.  My friend weighs heavy on my heart because of her loss… but she is strong and she will manage to move through this terribly sad period of her life.  5 weeks…….

Another good friend of mine was blessed to have her middle daughter get married to the man of her dreams during the same 5 week period.  I don’t know if I can adequately describe what a beautiful evening we experienced as they exchanged their vows.  They were a beautiful couple and it was a lovely ceremony.  The reception was elegant and relaxed and my husband and I marveled at our blessings…being good friends with most of the people attending, and getting to meet some very fun and enjoyable people.  I have never attended a wedding that was as joyous, and made you feel happy to be alive and so excited for the new couple.

The man of MY dreams and I also celebrated our 40th anniversary in this same 5 week period.  Again, we felt very blessed to get to spend the morning after the wedding with our boys and our daughter in law and our precious grandson.  Unfortunately we were missing our son’s girl friend and her sweet daughter, but we had a great brunch and laughed and enjoyed our family and counted our blessing before heading back home.  Our sons have grown into fine, independent young men and we are so very proud of them.  We treasure the time we get to spend with them and the girls, and our grandson.  It seems like yesterday that we exchanged our vows and started our journey together. I fell in love with him the first time I saw him on that ladder in the gym, hanging a disco ball from the ceiling in preparation for a CYO dance.  46 years ago, I told my friend that I was going to marry him….and I did!  One of the best decisions of my life!

My dear father in law went to the emergency room on Monday with a nosebleed that would not stop.  Today is Thursday and here he sits with rhino rockets in his nose, not sleeping, not eating much at all, and feeling very weak and sick.  Hopefully, the rockets will be removed on Friday afternoon and the bleeding will have stopped.  I can’t even imagine how uncomfortable he is and how bad he feels.  Sleep would help him, if only he could…. He is 86 years old.

As I contemplate the events of the last 5 weeks, I reaffirm that life is precious. None of us know how long we have on this earth or what challenges we will be given, or where the road will take us. It is a series of joys and sorrows, and ups and downs.  Love is what makes it tolerable…without love life would hardly be worth the pain.